Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Grungeland: Singles(1992)

Singles(1992) is  most widely known for it's comprehensive soundtrack, featuring bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and The Smashing Pumpkins. Hell, the Matt Dillion's band is Citizen Dick (a play on the band Citizen Sane which is a play on the film Citizen Kane). So it is safe to say that this film is saturated with grunge and metal music. However, although I do not like to admit it, I rarely pay any attention to the soundtrack, no matter how stellar it is. I liked this soundtrack, but not as much as the millions of 90s teens that bought the album (the soundtrack was sold out even before the movie released). Some say that the soundtrack overpowers the movie itself: a rom com movie with a delightful happy ending.

I would like to argue. For starters, I love romantic comedies. The love story between Linda and Steve (played by Kyra Sedgwick and Campbell Scott, respectively) is a beautiful one, especially with Scott's deep blue and innocent eyes. Sedwick and Scott's story line is the backbone of the whole film, but it is Janet and Cliff's (played by Bridget Fonda and Matt Dillion) relationship that is truly adored by the adolescent grunge teens, the targeted audience. I must say, they are beautiful couple and are picturesque young love. Their last kiss in the movie was soft and romantic, and my plot-loving soul knows that they grow old together.

However, the real reason I am talking about Singles, is because of the impeccable style, namely Janet and Cliff. They both have leather jackets I can only dream about. Even the extras have beautiful style. It is my ultimately inspiration, and I instantly bought the movie to help inspire me in my future times of need. After the movie I had withdrawal symptoms from the lack of grunge in the world I live in.

Also, did I mention hit tv show FRIENDS is based off this movie?! how goddamn wonderful























No comments:

Post a Comment