Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Hearing the Dalai Lama.


Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley! In my Presidency class we considered him as 2016 Presidential Candidate, so I fangirled a bit. 
So yes, that is His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama giving a speech at the Sadat Lecture for Peace at the University of Maryland. (!!!!). My dad is an alum and, because he has made some donations to the university, got sent some tickets. (!!!) 

The Dalai Lama was extraordinarily cheerful, described by my dad's old professor (who we visited after the speech) as another "jolly old man." He really was very merry, cracking jokes and constantly giggling to himself. The main thesis of his whole speech was that worldwide peace comes from inner peace, and that with inner peace comes tolerance and the realization that everybody is human and wants the same thing. 
Some quotes that I managed to ferociously type on my iPhone notepad and novice video clips I filmed are below:

"Material value never provides mental comfort... constant fear"
"Trust is the key value of friendship, respect others and their sense of well being"
"Talk to you enemy. You both want peace."
"Violence is unpredictable, and despite good intentions, vioelnce is always unpredictavble, and because of the violent method it always produces unexpected consequences"

"we forget one-ness of humanity. that is the source of problem."
"global economy, glbal warming, national boundary, religious differences, no relevant. you must think about humanity....sacrifice [secondary differences] for oneness of humanity...
In order to prevent central peace, this century, this world should be demilitarized world [watch the last video]"

(if you are going to watch any of the videos.. I recommend the 3rd one!!) 












Nasty gal top, Blue Valley jacket, BDG jeans, 1461 Dr. Martens

It's rather ironic how I have a fashion blog and just listened to a speech advising against against seeking short-lived comfort in material value....

No comments:

Post a Comment